Friday, July 11, 2008

Momma Reflects


The past two weeks have been a blur. For those that don't know, Dublin decided to come exactly three weeks early and was considered a "term baby" as of only a matter of hours. We went into the hospital on Sunday, June 29th just to rule out an early sign of labor. We left in the middle of house projects, dinner plans and exhaustion----fully expecting to be back home in an hour or so. We only brought 1 of the several things we had packed for labor and only because my mom said we might want it "just in case". 

Well it was the case. When we got there, they confirmed it was time to induce labor (although apparently I had already been having some small contractions). I was induced at 3 pm on Sunday. Dave went home to get the rest of the bags as we both came to the realization that it was now only hours, not weeks, until we would meet our daughter. Before the contractions became too intense, I tied up some loose ends and made many phone calls to my family. We had wonderful support and visitors through the whole evening---I don't know if I would have made it as long as I did without an epidural if I hadn't been calmed by the conversations in my surroundings or entertained by the ABC song from one small visitor. Grandma & Grandpa stayed very late and came back early. Everyone was so helpful. 

After 19.75 hours of overnight labor (with an epidural), it was time. The doctor (not mine, as she was out of town), nurses, anesthesiologists, and of course Dave were wonderful. Dublin was born in just 30 minutes. 

We were again so fortunate to have many visitors in the hospital. We also received so many messages, flowers, and cards that meant so much to our new little family. Except for a mild case of jaundice, Dublin was given a clean bill of health on each check. We were ready to go home on Wednesday. Dublin's Daddy drove a respectable 25-35 mph the whole 5 minutes home. 

Josh, Danielle & Baby Devan were our first visitors at home and have helped us in so many ways----all that after having been through the same thing just a month prior!! Grandma came to help us get some semblance of order in the house. Nana and Auntie Erin drove from Wisconsin/Minnesota to see her and help us tremendously that first weekend (Fourth of July). Unkie Gary came out to see her. We've had meals delivered (thanks Sandra, Danielle, & Kim)----and thank goodness because who has time to think about anyone but Dublin's eating schedule!?

I can't believe she is here. She is more wonderful than I could have imagined. 

I hope you will consider stopping by to meet her or to visit if you've already met! 

~Proud New Momma

No comments: